As BlockStart’s ecosystem partner, we have challenged Nomadic Labs to present themselves and introduce us to Tezos, a self-upgradable blockchain that redefines what it means to hold and exchange value in a digital connected world
Blockchain technology holds the promise of a decentralized, reliable, and unmediated economy. Limiting its potential to securing virtual currency exchanges would be too simplistic. With this in mind, Nomadic Labs aims at anchoring the Tezos technology within the French, Belgian and Luxembourgish ecosystems. Tezos is a public decentralized blockchain with European roots. Nomadic Labs, a French R&D company, is one of the largest contributors to the Tezos protocol. Alexia Martinel, Blockchain Strategy & Adoption developer at Nomadic Labs, shares her vision of Blockchain and its potential perspectives.
1. How would you define Tezos? What are the values that characterize this blockchain?
Tezos is smart money, it redefines what it means to hold and exchange value in a digitally connected world. A self-upgradable blockchain with a proven track record, Tezos seamlessly adopts tomorrow’s innovations without network disruptions today.
What the Tezos protocol brings to the table is:
- Reliability: Tezos is designed to provide the safety and code correctness required for assets and other high value use cases. Its native smart contract language, Michelson, facilitates formal verification, a methodology commonly used in mission-critical environments such as the aerospace, nuclear, and semiconductor industries.
- Evolutivity: Tezos is the world’s first self-amending blockchain: all stakeholders may participate in network upgrades by evaluating, suggesting, or approving amendments.
- Eco-responsibility: With its Proof of Stake based protocol, the Tezos blockchain is less energy-intensive than previous generations of blockchain, an essential feature in the age of energy transition.
2. How does Nomadic Labs contribute to the development of Tezos? What is your mission?
As a member of the Tezos ecosystem, we are working daily with academic institutions and R&D labs located around the world, participating in the ecosystem, and contributing to the development and evolution of the Tezos protocol. In concrete terms Nomadic Labs’ mission in France, Belgium and Luxembourg is built on an inclusive vision of blockchain. As a company, it aims to facilitate the adoption of this technology by as many actors as possible. To achieve this vision, Nomadic Labs provides technological support to all players who are exploring, discovering and seeking to adopt Tezos technology.
3. What is recent news of Nomadic Labs and its Adoption Department?
Since last year, we have been working within the consortium led by Société Générale to conduct experiments on a Central Bank Digital Currency (CBDC).
In addition, and thanks to our technical support, we are pleased to see institutional players join the active governance of the Tezos chain. Indeed, over the last five months, we have seen EDF, via its subsidiary Exaion, Sword France, SmartNode, The Blockchain Group, Wakam and Ubisoft, become “corporate bakers” on the Tezos blockchain.
More recently, the Lugh Company, with the support of Nomadic Labs, has announced the creation of the first French digital asset pegged to the Euro. The deployment of this digital asset, issued on Tezos, allows users to make instant transactions, hedge against the unpredictability of volatile cryptocurrencies and reduce transaction costs.
Last but not least, we have recently joined Infrachain and Walchain, both respectively Luxembourgian and Belgian based non-profit organizations for operational blockchain projects with the will of actively participating in the development of the blockchain technology in their respective markets, of facilitating and of driving the use of the Tezos blockchain, which we see as an ideal long-term solution for high-value applications.
More broadly, the Tezos ecosystem has been particularly busy in recent weeks, we have just announced a large-scale technology partnership with McLaren, to create a NFT platform dedicated to F1. And the ecosystem is also working very closely with the music industry and announced a partnership with OneOf to launch a green NFT platform dedicated to this industry.
Tezos’ future is bright!